Who We Help
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender, queer (LGBTQ+) older adults are often invisible to mainstream elder service providers.
As a result, LGBTQ+ older adults often avoid seeking needed services out of fear of discrimination. The tendency for LGBTQ+ older adults to go "back in the closet" is particularly pronounced in situations where they are most vulnerable, including accessing home health care or residing in assisted living or residential care facilities.
LGBTQ+ older adults are twice as likely to live alone than heterosexual older adults and more than four times as likely to have no children. The informal caregiving support we assume is in place for older adults may not be there for LGBTQ+ older adults.
Care Managers at Your Elder Experts have experience working with the LGBTQ+ community and are familiar with the resources that may be a good fit to address the challenges of aging well with dignity.
Meet with Your Elder Experts to:
- Learn how to best plan for your future
- Find out which resources are appropriate for you
- Understand which benefits and insurance you are entitled to
- Explore options for living independently or at an assisted-living facility, retirement community, or nursing home
- Learn about programs that are available for your family members or care partners
- Receive guidance around how to discuss difficult issues with your family
- Help you understand the progression of dementia and its challenges
- Make decisions about your future that feel right
Hear from those we've helped
"Our advocate thinks ahead and notices symptoms like a toothache or that Evelyn was walking oddly and takes the initiative so that things don’t become a crisis. Although I am Evelyn’s health care proxy and I have her power of attorney, I am getting older myself and can’t handle everything. I don’t know what I would do without Your Elder Experts."